Friday, April 2, 2010

I made it!

I made it through the day, and a rough day it was, too...not because I was coming in from being out for a couple days, tough, but there was so much to do, and so many problems that cropped up all day!

For instance, I had to update my work blog twice!
Tough one there! But the information is used by every field worker in the entire state! I feel so privileged to have that blog. Sadly, it isn't available to the public, but I'd like to see about fixing that. If I had a public website, I could answer most of the questions people have ONLINE, instead of on the phone, which takes a LOT more time! I could have my own little program--enter your name, your child's name and birthday, your email and a brief account of your problem and POOF! An answer, right there, overnight! It is a dream, I tell you!

No, it was the onslaught of telephone calls that kept me hopping. Staff queries, preparing files for distribution to field workers, emailing field workers. Discourse on the how's and why's of why your case didn't get opened the way you expect it to. Why your check didn't come.

This list is pretty endless.

And then, there were the blissful parts. Those times when I got to take in a deep breath and get out of dodge. I had mexican for lunch today, a shellfish (shrimp) quesadilla with lime sauce and mild taco sauce. Oh, YUM! Then I got to eat it outdoors, and walk around in the woods behind my office and look at pretty flowers and watch fish jump in the river. There was even a pair of gay mallard ducks...yes, gay..both males, swimming as if they were doing some sort of synchronized pattern all across the river, up and down stream for several minutes before they both took off to the south. Sigh. Duckie love.

I ran into one of my lunch buddies before going back in, and together we discussed my blog. He thought it was a great idea, but that it was probably something that I could have shared with another unit--which I was only too glad to do! Had I known they needed to know this stuff it would have been on their doorstep in a heartbeat. ANYTHING to make my day easier!

The afternoon was busy as the morning, but I got everything done that I intended to do. Still there is a great deal more left to do on Monday. I'm pleased with myself that things went as well as they did considering I really only put in 16 hours this week. Vacation days are great, unless you have to use them for sick days. That's the baddest part. The good part is that I still get paid for 40 hours.

Coming home, I watched a fire in the southwestern sky. I stopped into town on the way home and bought a pizza. I was probably a half hour on the road since I first saw smoke, and then the sirens came. It was a brush fire, I'm sure. Leaves and dead grass set to a fire that got away from the property owner, as the acrid smell of burning leaves met my nose from miles away. It surprised me that they didn't get going for over a half hour's time of smoke!

I came home without incident. I am dressed for bed. I am EXHAUSTED. I'm not quite yet ready for sleep, which is likely to overtake me in a few more hours. I will watch Ghost Whisperer and Medium, and then head for my pillow.

I believe I might be allergic to prednisone--the steroid is causing my face and neck to turn red, which is fine, as long as that's all it does, but this evening, I am thirsty and tired, and that means that my sugar might be out of whack...something that my nurse sister in law told me could happen. I am to check my sugar this evening, but I am quite sure what I'll find.

In the meanwhile, there's knitting to be done, as usual. And relax. Relax. RELAX. If I could get comfy in the tub, I think I would take a long, lazy bath. With bubbles. Ahhhh.

Yes, I was right. The prednesone has taken a pot shot at my sugar. I'm at 316! I should be more than half that!

Well, off to relax some. Chatter tomorrow.

No comments: