Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

Nice surprise at work yesterday. I get Election Day off! Hadn't expected THAT to happen, but it's a nice surprise. I'll go vote early as I usually do, come home and take care of some business, then I have the whole day to myself.

I went to the doctor yesterday--and a not so nice surprise. Not only is my cholesterol high, but my sugar was up to 384!!! So I am fasting for a blood draw today--and they'll take readings on whether my oil is contaminated or not.

I'll likely end up on diabetes medication--not insulin, because my diabetes can probably be controlled with a diet change--no, wait, a DRASTIC diet change, but I have always hated having food be a controlling factor in my life, so it makes me REALLY mad that I have to control my intake now--after all these years of MCDONALD'S which I LOVE. My one and only comfort food--and now I can't have it at all.

So drastic changes are in the air. I'll probably need to go on a diabetic diet, where there's no taste and no starches and no sugars...and while I'm not too keen on sweets anyhow, I will miss the starches so much that I'll be crying within a week--begging for mercy. I wish I had a buddy to commiserate with--I couldn't even get hold of my own mother yesterday to tell her the bad news!

So this morning, I am drinking water, instead of coffee--which I will be drinking MORE of once I start this undesirable change--because I believe that it will be the only comfort food left that I can still have. Lord! I have to have at least ONE bad habit, don't I?

So at knit-night, I talked a bit about it, and everyone commiserated with me for about 10 seconds (not too much love lost on a person who's blood runs thick with french fries, right?), and I sat down to knit and fume. Since it's Election Day today, my friend who hosts knit-night wanted everyone out earlier because she gets up at 4am to work at the township hall and actually volunteers for the voting area--so I came home and finished another hat. Here's Prince with the latest addition to the hat-bag!

Since I was at the doctor's office yesterday, I also talked with him about this constant cough and how I really had to get rid of it FAST because my father in law is in the hospital with an infection of some sort, because he's on chemo, and the white blood cell count is so low, so they won't let me near him to see him because they're all afraid that I'm going to infect him with the bubonic plague (and his eyes got really wide when I said that, too--nearly as wide as Prince's eyes!) should I cough on him, and that I didn't want to infect him with something, even though I didn't believe that I was infectious to begin with, but that I was afraid that he would die before I got a chance to actually see him!

See, it's all about me, right?

So he gave me another antibiotic and some claritin. To his credit, the cough is MUCH less, even after only one dosage, but I am not taking anymore until I get the blood drawn. I can't get the blood drawn until 9am, so I'm going to vote first, and I'll probably cough in line as I wait to vote.

And the antibiotic is HUGE. An elephant's vitamin wouldn't be this big! And the Claritin pill is the size of an apple seed. So how is it that the little pill seems to work the best? The Claritin cleared up (read that dried up) my sinuses, so I didn't drip at all last night (song lyrics?) and the antibiotic? Well, that remains to be seen. This morning, I'm suffering with a runny nose, and wish I could take the Claritin--but on an empty tummy, would not be wise. So I'll wait till later. It won't be a long wait--and maybe if I don't cough my head off, my hubby will take me to see his dad later--

And that would be a good thing. I can get a picture of him with his hat on! I wonder if his hair will grow back? I mean, he didn't have much before he went on the chemo to begin with--so there's some real doubt there.

Well, off to blow my nose and begin another hat.

No comments: