Friday, November 7, 2008

I FOUND IT!

I am taking today off so that I can meal plan, grocery shop and generally try to get my body back into the shape it should be in. This morning, my sugar/glucose was still high (245), so I looked around the world wide web for a tasty breakfast, that included items already in my store of food goods. I found this which looked pretty yummy, but I don't have thyme, so it's going to taste somewhat different. I also didn't have the butter-flavored pan spray, but I just subbed in the original PAM cooking spray and a small dab of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

I have no clear idea what it will taste like, so I'm making a cup of coffee to help wash it down just in case.

Prep time took about 10 minutes (most of that was heating up the oven), so it's a doable morning recipe. I'm going to need more apples, if I like it, thyme, butter-flavored cooking spray and a smaller whisk. So I'm starting a grocery list. I also had to sort of guestimate how much of everything, because I didn't have the egg-substitute, so I used a couple regular eggs, and a little less milk and flour. It will likely be "runny". I cooked the required time, and it's not done in the center, so I'm going to bake just a little longer in hopes of getting it to firm up a little more. Next time, I'll measure it more carefully, but right now, I'M HUNGRY! There will be a review at the end of the day.

No knitting last night. I'm seriously out of sorts with this diagnosis. An old boyfriend of mine had diabetes type I, and I don't remember him eating any differently than I am having to do--he pretty much ate what he wanted to, and took insulin to pound out the rough spots and take care of whatever extra sugar he was taking in. But seriously, this is no contest--he's had years and years to get used to and deal with diabetes. I suppose it slowed him down some considering that he used to be a rock climber and spelunker, sailor and swimmer, dancer and, well you get the picture. When *I* met him, he was still a dancer, but had pretty much put everything else away, as if his lifetime was over and things were seriously slowing down. When things really got going for us, he fixed up the sailboat, and we went for a couple of rides, but Michigan only allows sailing on a small Sunfish one person boat in the depths of summer when the lake is warm bathwater--just in case of falling in, you see?

So there were limits to his activity, but he picked them back up now and then as time and weather would allow. He even climbed the ledges in Grand Ledge--and while not exactly a challenge for him, it gave him and his daughter a chance to bond.

Okay, review on the Apple Frittata--is good, sort of okay, really--I think the thyme would have brought out the flavor more--maybe even a sprig of mint would have added--but definitely needs the thyme. It's really bland, otherwise.

Where's the coffee?

It makes 4 servings, but with my guestimates, I figured I could eat 1/3 of it and still be within limits....so with coffee on hand--

Last night was really fitful. I woke up at 3ish, sweating like I'd just finished the triathalon, and the bed and pillow literally dripped. I threw off every cover, and lay there, shivvering until finally falling asleep again sometime after hubby left for work.

Mental note, remove the apple skin.

Then, when I finally rose at 7ish, I emailed work and explained what had happened to me yesterday--god knows I really REALLY would rather be at the office, right? The work doesn't get done if I stay home. But seriously, I need time to get used to what's going on inside of me before I can handle the outside--right? So I'm staying home until Wednesday (we have Tuesday off, so that makes it a little easier).

A little late with the newsflash, here, but Obama won the presidency. They are already talking about what house changes will take place when Mrs. Obama gets her hands on the place. Frankly, I don't understand why changes have to happen! One more reason to make the deficit a bit larger, eh? I mean, hire Martha Stewart and get it over with already!

If I sound a bit grumpy about the election, you guessed right. I voted for the other guy...what was his name? Simply because I bleed red, not blue blood. I resist the idea that I only voted party lines, because I did vote for some democrats--which with the result of the election put the dems in control of the senate, too! Did I screw up or what? Anyway, I suppose disgruntled is more the word of the day. I'm hoping that his tenure as president will be a throwback to the Kennedy administration--and I fear for his life, quite honestly, as I believe there will be attempts on his life, just as in the Kennedy administration. I will admit--he's a smooth talker, but so was Clinton--let's not go there. But his suave and debonair exterior didn't really phase me--he's still a politician. We'll see if he can make the changes happen in a good way that don't hurt the middle class more than they already are, and by golly, he better help get Michigan back on it's feet--especially Lansing--we who have been dependent on the automotive industry far too long.

This isn't an economic issue, that of Michigan's trouble. I have long said that GM held on to gas-guzzler cars, trucks and SUV's for much too long, when they ought to have been researching and developing cars that would use cheap alternative energies, and/or developed the energies themselves. GM missed the boat. BIG TIME. Had they been working on this for the last 40 years (our lifetimes), we would be flying around like George Jetson by now.

Just my opinion, but there you have it. I think our "transportation" has to move on to quick air travel--and utilize whatever form of transportation that entails--there are too many jobs going away from the United States. Our people need to follow those jobs. We can't depend on jobs staying in one place in this mobile world. Where I work, people are leaving Michigan like rats on a sinking ship. Heading for places like Georgia (why???????), Texas and Arizona. Leaving behind homes they have mortgages with that they can't/couldn't/haven't paid, only worsening the problem here.

My husband could keep his job, if he moved to Mississippi.

But our home is here. Our families are here (and his dad has cancer!). Our animals are here! And with the economy the way it is, we would never recover the money for our house--although we might be able to buy a nice house in Mississippi....but imagine the travel costs to get there! And what of my job? I might be able to get a job as an Assistance Payments worker in Mississippi--ho boy! With my attitude? LOL! That's pretty funny.

Or maybe I could find a job working in a yarn store? Now that would be fun! Although it wouldn't pay nearly as much, at least I could be happy. And maybe I wouldn't spend my entire check on yarn.

Oh, who am I kidding?

More coffee...

Mississippi--didn't they just get hit by Katrina?? Of course, I have heard that they recovered much more quickly on their own without asking for a ton of help from FEMA--let's look at Louisiana in comparison--okay, let's not. What gets me is the thought that there might be jobs in Mississippi for my husband---I mean, who'd a thunk it? So perhaps I'll check out some things--jobs and such for me. We don't have to leave until his job here runs dry, then we need to do something.

So, I'm off to check job listings. Catchulatr!

No comments: