Saturday, November 29, 2008

A time to go to the Grocery Store

When I woke up ready for my breakfast cereal, I found I had none.

This means it's time to go to the grocery store.

I hate going to the grocery store--especially this time of year when EVERYONE AND THEIR UNCLE (or Aunt) is also shopping at the grocery store. The aisles are pack to bursting with people so much that you're crawling all over everyone, even at 4am!

And since I didn't know that I was out of milk (I knew I was CLOSE, but there was still at least a cup left in the carton yesterday!), now I have to leave--later than I normally would, to get a few groceries. I will probably be hours. Several stores wait for my arrival.

First, of course, the grocery store, which is my local Meijer's. I purchase my major grocery shopping here, and I get my daily exercise requirement fulfilled, climbing over people to get that last sale item, pushing the cart through a milling throng. Pictures later--if I don't forget.

Second stop will be Hobby Lobby. There are some Christmas Angels that I want to make from Annie's Attic, and I need the crochet cotton to make them, plus there's a doily with only 30 rows to it that I would like to make. Annie's Attic has been my main thrust for projects this year, and there have been a fair number of them that have been really attractive to me, so I've been doing a lot of printing!

Third stop, probably the LYS. Not that I need yarn you understand, but I do need to stop in now and then just to say hi and look at what's new. Trouble is, I never seem to be able to walk out of there empty handed. This time, I'm considering buying a set of short, size 6 dpns--for the gloves that I'm already half done with--because knitting fingers on a circular needle a la magic loop is pretty much time consuming. You know, I should be writing this all down so I don't forget why I went there!

And then, on from there, who knows? I may stop at the office and pick up all my soda bottles? I have a great many of them there, after all. So many that I've run out of places to hide them. I can hear you ask "Why do you hide them?"

Well, there's this little thing called a bottle thief in our office. Keep in mind, however, that the last time the bottles got stolen from my office, I figured out who I thought it might be, and she's gone now to a different job. She was the sort of person who would figure that if you left it out, it was hers for the taking, plus she had a ton of financial difficulties that she constantly worked on instead of her daily assignments--and she'd cry on the phone to a debtor--and stop the instant she hung up--oh yes, quite the consumate actress. I didn't trust her, so I started hiding my bottles. Since she left the office, I've had 5 (and growing) empties on my desk, and they haven't disappeared--so I believe my suspicions were correct. I expect I have at least $7 worth of soda bottles hidden in my office, such is the breadth of my cubicle space, and I really think I need to retrieve them...perhaps BEFORE going to the grocery store.

In the meanwhile, I have to eat something....but WHAT? I don't feel up to going through the motions of making a full blown breakfast. Maybe I could stop at Denny's? ALONE? Are you joking? My husband would have a fit!

So I have to figure out something, because I also don't want a breakfast bar, which isn't much for the price. I had my heart set on cereal this morning. Sigh.

Decisions, decisions.

No comments: