Saturday, November 22, 2008

Falling Apart

I've finally reached the age where everything is falling apart on me. Oh to be young again and not have all these small, niggling health problems.

First off, my wrist, which still bothers me much of the time, but it's more "bother" than actual pain, and most of the time, if I don't use it, I don't even know it's there. Darn Tendinitis!

Second, I've "come down" with diabetes type 2. Horrible stuff. Means you have to monitor everything that goes into your body, and levels of sugar in your blood must be monitored. I think I've pretty much got it under control, although occasionally, I will have a spike, but it's not like, nearly 400 anymore, and it's maintained pretty well with my medication.

Then there's my thyroid...also monitored/maintained by medication. The thyroid monitors many of the automatic things that run in your body, such as heart rate, your monthly cycle and things like that. I guess that mine sort of "gave out" a long while back, and I've been taking medication for it since.

And now, the latest item to fall apart is my feet--more aptly, my heels. They've been bothering me for some time. Hubby said "It's heel spurs! HA HA! You're going to have to pay $100 for your shoes from now on!"

You see, I was feeling very blessed that I could go to almost any shoe store and get a pair of shoes or boots to wear, and lest you think that I've been buying stillettos (or any heeled shoe for that matter, you can forget it--I am a tennis shoe gal--all the way!) and be able to wear those shoes with no problem, while hubby had to pay over $200 for his size 10 EEE. Yes, you read that correctly. He has very hard to fit feet, with large bunions near his great toe.

I made the mistake of telling my GP about my heels at my last visit. So, he sent me to a podiatrist, who told me that I have heel spurs.

Who'd a-guessed that?

So he gave me some inserts, which don't give me enough support on my arch, and told me to go get some Nike Shox at the Lady Footlocker at the Mall (which by the way are going for $109), and claimed that he could make my foot feel much better by giving me a shot of cortisone.

ACK! Been there with my hand/wrist, and knew for sure that it would hurt. To say the least, I wax reticent...I made him take X-rays of both my feet before making a decision. He showed them to me, but I couldn't discern any remarkable problems from the X-Ray, but he seemed totally convinced that I needed that shot.

Well, he's the doctor, right? And he promised that my heel (I opted for only the right foot, since it bothers me most) would feel wonderful afterward.

A word of warning.

DON'T GET A SHOT IN YOUR FOOT.

Even though he froze my foot at the injection I still felt every millimeter of that needle going in, and even felt my entire foot cramp up while he gave me the shot, and I begged him to hurry, hurry hurry, because the pain damn near knocked me out.

I think I cried for a half hour before I could convince myself that I should get up and go get those shoes!

Today, my heel IS better. I got up from my bed this morning to fix breakfast for myself, and I actually didn't fall back down on the bed because of excruciating shots of pain flying up my leg from a heel spur. So yes, the shot works! Would that it had worked so well on my wrist!In

Do yourself a favor. If you don't have heel pain YET, get yourself some good shoes to shod your feet. You can thank me later.

In the meanwhile, I've knit 6 of those unoriginal hats. All out of that Moda Dea Tweedle Dee. Nice stuff. Too expensive, really, but if you find it on sale at Michael's (2 for $7) you can knit a LOT of hats, because it makes 2 hats per skein. The only thing I don't like about it, is that there aren't many color choices. I would like to get more, but I'd like more of a color variety, and it's just not there to be had. I found some on Ebay, but the seller wants too much money for it, what with shipping and all that. So I drop into Michael's now and then and get more. I'm having such fun with this stuff, and it has sort of interrupted my regular knitting--like the piggie socks for my mother, which will probably take the rest of her life to get done. Sigh. I'm just not good at making things for other people.

Work has been hectic, to say the least. I'm about 2 weeks behind because of all the doctor appointments over worry that I was dying, and now that the doctor appointments are pretty much over, I can finally get it together and get something done. Because I was out most of the week during the day, I stayed late at the office nearly every day this week, and it's paid off in being able to catch up a bit with most of what I've been working on. I might even go in today to work on more, but I can't guarantee that my systems will be available to do anything. Maybe I'll just not do that eh?

Besides, I have a house to clean, right?

No comments: