Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Weekend Has Arrived

And with it, another sleepless night. This, however, turns out to be really productive, since I was able to clean my kitchen, and I can now actually SEE the countertop. That will be over once I start cooking again, however, because as I always say:

I am not a housekeeper. I am a house "liver". And just like the liver in my gut, I pretty much just lay there and do my day job, then come home and relax.

To this end, you might think I live in a filthy house. I do not live in a filthy house, but I like to cook--I just don't like to clean up after--which lends itself to a certain amount of "clutter", but things don't usually get to the point of mold and/or smell. I'm pretty fastidious about those sorts of things. But by the end of the third day, I can't find things, so I have to clean.

Hubby, however, has determined that "cleaning" is a woman's job (as if I needed another one), and very rarely can I convince him to do HIS duty around the house--which is cleaning off the stove every night. This is his duty, and not part of the dishes, because HE wanted the stove with the standard bowl type configuration. I wanted a flat top/glass topped stove. The bowl type was less expensive--absolutely, and desirable that way, but I wanted ease of cleaning, which the bowl type didn't offer. So the deal was, hubby would clean it every night, and I would take the less-expensive model. Hence, the stove is dirty ALL THE TIME. The bowls are permanently stained, and I am NOT happy with the less-expensive model, and about to begin a complaint campaign about it.

He's also become very lax about taking out the trash to the burn-barrel. Our home generates a fair amount of trash, and I dutifully bag it up and toss it to the garage corner, where it accumulates until hubby takes it to the burning area. Junk mail abounds, which doesn't burn well, and he's not fond of standing outdoors watching it burn. He could take care of the matter by purchasing trash collection, which does pass our home, but dare I say, he's a bit of a tightwad?

So both of us have become a bit lazy where the house is concerned. This is NOT what keeps me awake at night however. Once I'm awake (and today, it was 2:30am), I have trouble returning to slumber. This may have something to do with the fact that there are four animals in the house vying for my attention at 2:30am--dog, two cats, and if hubby happens to rouse from sleep, him, too.

So I get up, and I get busy. Then, sometime around 7 or so, I'll be sleepy again, and back between the sheets I go until 10 or so, in order to get what I call "beauty sleep". It makes for a weird life, because I've never had trouble sleeping, not even with animals in bed with me. But it doesn't pay me one bit to stay in bed, tossing and turning, simply drowsy, and not really getting any benefit from the act. So I get up so as not to disturb hubby's sleep patterns. The animals follow me around the entire morning, and he gets his sleep--but what of me?

Indeed.

So it's about 4:30am now, and I'm starting to feel hunger coming on, which means that I need to take my sugar levels soon, and get started on my day again after taking a short break to blog 'n bitch--may god help me if I should come upon another life to live--it will probably kill me.

No comments: