Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Pretty Fair Day

Today, being Saturday, and the first Saturday in the first full week, meant that I was off to my mother's to help her grocery shop.

It also turns out to be her birthday.

I have no idea how old she is. Because I forget everything except for my middle name...um...it's...

Anyway, she's old. She loves pigs. I wasn't able to finish the piggie socks in time, so I showed her the picture. I gave her a hat (and also my son got one). I gave her Runt, and she was so tickled. Then I gave her a piggie trivet that I bought at the grocery store. She loves her gifts!

Then we drove to Hastings to buy her some canvas for cross stitch, and I got more yarn for hats, and then I came home.

I got a little light headed a few hours after breakfast, so I ate an apple. Then around noon, we ate lunch, and I had a sandwich wrap at Arby's...and scarffed a few of my mom's curly fries.

I'm home now, making dinner--leftovers in the form of stew/soup. I'm not sure if I want to thicken the broth or not--it might make quite a tasty vegetable beef soup--so I'm waiting for hubby to get home before proceeding.

Speaking of hubby--he came home all hang-dog, sat down in his chair and asked me if I'd heard the news...

No, haven't had the television on all day, what's up?

His company is going bankrupt if the government doesn't bail them out. Since McCain didn't get elected (remember, he was the pro-business/pro-jobs candidate?), the company is terrified, and probably crying wolf, but I imagine that they are in pretty dire financial straights what with all the golden parachutes they gave to management to basically tell them "don't go away mad, just GO AWAY!"

So hubby might not have a job soon, and he's at a loss as to what he's going to do. Having your company go out of business at any age is terrible, but at 52?? He's worried about his 401K, his retirement savings, and everything else--and in addition, he's feeling pretty well hog-tied about it all, because he really can't make any sudden moves at his age--let alone make changes before he knows what's really going to happen. So he's still pretty much trying to carry all his eggs in the same basket he's been carrying them in for the last 30 odd years. I'm not sure it's wise, but I can't advise him on any other recourse. I feel bad for him, because he's a big "old-school" type man--ie, THE MAN BRINGS HOME THE BACON. I feel bad for both of us, because we're going to have to make some severe changes in our lifestyles and manner of living. I feel badly for everyone around us because our family's are both sort of dependent on us in different ways, and we might not be able to continue to fill those needs.

So he's over at his mom and dad's while I futz around the house and get dinner started.

I hope he's in a good mood when he arrives.

No comments: