Friday, May 7, 2010

Do You *Fe-el" Like I Do hoo?

Remember Peter Frampton?
Recently, he was on television for a car insurance commercial, and it was pretty cool to watch him talk through his guitar--had never seen it when he was in his heyday--back when I was in college. I remember his tunes, but usually in the context of listening to other people's vinyl--rather than my own. At the time, I didn't care much for him.

Now, however, that I see that he's nearly as old as I am (or maybe older--HUSH!), I find that some of the musical artists that I really didn't care for "back then" are suddenly "the golden oldies" or "retro hits". What?

I've pretty much come to terms with the idea that I grew up in an exciting musical time--Bob Seger, Peter Frampton, Ted Nugent and a whole host of others. Most people thought I was nuts because I didn't care for the music. Back then I was a "Light Rock" or "Easy Listening" gal--Carpenters, John Denver. That sort of thing. Heck, I even liked Captain and Tenille.

Someone get a thermometer!

But now, the radio announcer plays those songs, and I think to myself:

"Wow, where did they pull THAT from? Out of some moldy closet?"

And then I wonder if he's making a comment about my age, and I get all huffy inside. It's pretty funny to watch, I imagine, as I start to realize that I'm just as moldy as that record is. First, initial shock registers while I ponder the conundrum, and then the aftershock hits.

It's like watching Mount St. Helen explode--not just erupt--explode. You get my picture.

So there I am, driving down the road, all puffed up about how I am *NOT* so old that my cousins were rocks and dirt...and then heave a sigh and resign myself to the idea that perhaps I've somehow turned into my grandmother--whoever she might be.

I tell you, some fat old lady took over my body during the night, and I'm really ticked off about it. Remember the fat, old witch from Bugs Bunny cartoon, who was going to cook Hansel and Gretel? I can see the hair pins fall out of my hair as I swiftly walk to work--oh yeah, there's one right there on the sidewalk--imagine that?

But seriously, my brain feels like it's about 25. It acts like it has Alzheimer's! What is wrong with you today, Brain?

They say the first to go is your memory. Now what were the other things?

Guess I'll just have to chew on that one. In the meanwhile, enjoy the posts and try to get some knitting done today. I didn't get any done last night..

No comments: