Friday, May 21, 2010

Working, Working, Working

It seems it's all I ever do.

Presently, working on a really pretty afghan.

IMG00086.jpg

Although now, this piece is presently twice as long as in the picture above.

It's from "The Shop on Blossom Street", Lydia's Baby Cables, but don't let the name fool ya. There's nothing "cable" about it. You can get it at Amazon, or you can get it at Leisure Arts, which is where I got my copy.

The original is done in one color, but you can change colors on the rows where there's a right twist (RT) and this is the result. I'm also carrying the yellow up the sides, which means I have some tangling while I knit, in order to wrap the yarn around the working yarn so that I have no holes. There is also weaving in ends, but I've been doing that as I go, so it hasn't been so bad. Currently, I'm on the second repeat of colors, and have started the lighter pink again, so as I said, it's nearly twice as big as pictured.

I finally got my car posted on Craig's List. We'll see how that works out.

Beautiful spindles here and I'm thinking of getting one of their Turkish spindles.

This one especially interests me, although the cost is a bit on the high side...You might know I'd pick one of the most expensive and most rare types of wood available. Good taste has it's pitfalls--especially when one doesn't have the budget for it. Sigh.

If I sell my car for what I'm asking, I think I will buy a new laptop, and this spindle. The rest will go into the bank for the purchase of the next car. I want a little one that gets good (okay, excellent) gas mileage, or else an electric car. There's also been some discussion of creating a car that will run on moonshine....remember The Waltons? Moonshine, or "corn squeezin's" is ethanol alcohol. It burns cleaner (and hotter) than gasoline. My stepson thinks that he could modify a car to run ethanol, but running a still to make the alcohol?????? Holy cow! You thought Meth labs were combustible! Even so, he thinks that he can do it without blowing up our barn. We'll have to see about that. I remember on the Waltons, these little old ladies sold their "pappy's recipe" by the quart. It got John Boy and his brother out of a couple of "oops, I ran out of gas" situations. However, I imagine that the process would require licensing and regulation and regular "checkups" by the bureau--so the matter has been tabled.

And last night, hubby was talking about opening his own CNC shop. Not that I know what that is, really, and since he's a little tight with his money, I doubt that he'll shell out $20K to open a shop. Considering how Michigan screws with it's businesses as far as taxes, I should think that Michigan would be the last place on earth that he'd want to open a shop. See, he's taking a class at LCC that's supposed to get him a job. I'm not sure why he's so bent on being employed again, except for the fact that he's just got nothing to do with himself except to work. He's hopeful. I just hope that the class doesn't try to stick him in Missouri or Kansas. I wouldn't like moving to Kansas. Too many tornadoes go through there.

Well, I'm off to go work on my afghan again. More pics tomorrow.

No comments: