Saturday, May 1, 2010

I've Been Waiting!

All week, nay, all month for this day to come!

Not only is it Saturday, friends, but also the day that my husband and my ex-boyfriend get together socially for the first time.

Most people might be fearful of the day, and true to my female form, I was a little worried about it myself for a while, but now? Now, ain't nuthin' but a THANG! I'm not worried about it anymore.

My hubby doesn't really want to do it, but doesn't see any way that he can get out of it. Of course, it's happening over on the MSU campus, so it's possible that he could get lost. Hubby isn't really too adept at getting around in Lansing/East Lansing-and it wouldn't hurt his feelings a bit if he missed the opportunity, since he has other obligations today that he could fulfill--for instance, delivering plant stands. If the sun shines at all today, the greenhouse he sells to will want those plant stands this weekend, and they are not ready.

I did offer to lead the way, since I know a little better than he does where it's at, but I have no real desire to run into my ex--especially since hubby hasn't shared that little piece of information with my ex--out of concern for his Physics grade. God love him. Since it's possible that my ex already knows about that. I asked hubby if he was going to divulge the information at any time, and he said he probably never would--a statement that I didn't quite understand, but there you go. I'm not sure who he thinks he's protecting now.

As for knitting, well, not so much attained fait acompli-Friday night is my television night, so I didn't get much done in the way of knitting. I thought about it a lot, though.

Okay not really.

I'm discouraged about the socks. I love the pattern, but the bobble doesn't stay on top of the fabric, and so I don't like it. I might rip back and redo them differently, but I can't think of how to do them differently to make them lay nicely on top of the fabric--and I wonder if a nupp would be a better option?

Meisterdecke is also stalled in favor of a longer needle. Yes, I already have the new needle. I've been waiting for the weekend to transfer the stitches so that I can really watch what I'm doing. But I have obligations this Saturday, same as hubby does--making a dent in the dirty dishes in the kitchen is one of those obligations.

It's been nicely raining this morning, and all my flowers that I planted last weekend (which I've been watering every evening so that they don't die from the hot sun) got a nice "natural" drink, and even though I've been watering everyday, apparently it's not been enough--since everyday one or two had literally wilted to the ground--but after watering, came back within minutes. So they must have been just resting..

Me? Green Thumb? Oh STOP! I put it in the ground, and hope it lives. I have no time for green thumbs, really. Once they take off and start fending for themselves, I really have little to do with them. I'm no gardener. I'm no florist. I love flowers and fresh veggies, but I have no time for tender loving care for youthful garden type plants. So--I plant and say:

"There. If ya live, ya live. If ya die, ya die. You're on your own!"

Now, I will water, if I remember. This week, I've managed to "remember" every day, and the plants have been grateful for it, returning to happily turn their flowered faces to the sun. Now that it has rained, and it's supposed to rain most of the weekend--I think I might be done with artificial watering every night. Once the roots build up and the plant takes hold, they are better able to fend for themselves. Flowers are especially delicate things. Grown quickly in a greenhouse, if not regularly watered, they will wither with the smallest hint of sunshine. But today, after a cool rain and lots of humidity, they ought to "dig in" and survive now.

It bodes to be a beautiful day today, even with the rain, and I might be so possessed as to buy more plants to put in the ground. Another of my obligations is to get some groceries, which will take me to Meijer's where they have lots of pretty, flowering annuals. I can't see staying indoors all day. So far this week, I've planted violas, a poppy and a couple of lavender plants. I'm really hoping that the lavender takes off, because I do REALLY love the smell of lavender--but for some reason, I've not been able to coax them into survival anywhere around my house. Perhaps if I plant them in the sheep pen next time? I would love to get some rhododendrons, flowering almonds, and a flowering cherry tree. I tried to plant butterfly bushes in the garden, and they were just taking off, when hubby ran over them with the lawnmower. MEN!

Well, hubby just took off for his trip. Somehow, I figure he'll get lost on the MSU campus and come home in frustration, having not met his obligation, but simply tired of trying to figure out where it is. Then again, he could fool me and be gone all day.

Another obligation is to head to JoAnn's for demo--I've not been there for a couple of weeks, and the classes have been pretty thin (in fact, non-existent). I'll head over there about 9 o'clock, I suppose. Perhaps I'll finish up the baby hat. Perhaps I'll work on the wave afghan. I have no real desire to "work" on anything again today. But if I'm to get anything done, I have to get started soon.

First, let's tackle the kitchen.

What? You aren't going to help?

No comments: