Friday, November 30, 2007

Freezing Friday at 3am

It's just a tad early to be rise and shine, don't you think?

Hubby forgot to put corn in the stove last night--I figured it had enough to last the night. I was wrong. Three am, and I'm awake tending a fire in my jammies--freezing to death. And you can't just light a corn stove and leave it when it's "cold". You have to sit and watch and baby it to life, otherwise, it doesn't take, and you end up relighting...sometimes several times, while you sit and wait for it to begin to heat the house.

So I'm in front of the fire, crouched on my toes to see if it's lighting in the little window, and my dog runs past, chasing the cat, knocks over a lamp, crash, bang, and here comes my hubby saying "oh leave it, I'll put corn in it tonight". Uh, right sure. It should be clear to you by now that I'm NOT getting any further sleep tonight, and I'll be calling in to work JUST because you forgot to put corn in last night, (and you are a worthless piece of you-know-what just now, so just leave me alone in the cold) <--these are thoughts in parentheses, by the way, and not really said aloud, but hubby knows me well enough to know that I do NOT appreciate my beauty slumber disrupted--and that I can be quite surly if I don't get the proper sleep I need, so he knows that I'm thinking those things, even if I don't say them.

But he's of the sort that can sit down in a chair and fall asleep. ANYWHERE. Don't you hate people like that? I mean, I have to be comfortable, my pillow just right, my feet and head under the covers, the dog at my feet and the cat on my chest, before I can even think about sleep. Then Lunesta draws me into slumber. Medicated sleep. But if I get wakened--at any time during the hours of 8pm to 6am, for any reason--I am up. Very rarely do I get back to sleep.

I have to work today--it's not like I can take my mother to the eye doctor again today--

Well, the fires lit, and looks like it's going to hold. I'm going back to bed, so that I can lay there and think about how nice it would have been to get some of that sleep that Lunesta advertises. CYA!

No comments: