Thursday, January 31, 2008

No Eyes in the Back of My Head

Sometimes I wish I had eyes in the back of my head.

I would really like to be able to take a look at my incision--just to make sure that it isn't seeping or turning ugly, angry colors, without depending on my husband, who is pretty inept at caring for me.

I knit a whole four rows on his socks last night. It was the only knitting I did all day. Between sleeping and eating, I really didn't do much at all. I bundled up and drove to the store for some goodies (chips, crackers, chocolate--you know the drill "comfort food!"), and when I came back, downed two more Tylenol and fell fast asleep until hubby came home.

He wasn't happy when I asked him to feed the sheep either, as I had no way to pull a new bale down--being that I'm not supposed to stress my incision. It wasn't like I've asked him for help with them all year--and he groused about it all the way out and all the way back in, but he shut his mouth when he found out that I'd bought some Packsi's at Meijer's. Well he shut his mouth long enough to say "mmmm", and then they were "gone".

My husband--he's so easy.

Anyway, as I was saying, I hate that this cut is on my back. I like to be able to see what's going on--even to the point of telling my hubby at the hospital--it would be kewl if they would take a movie of it and show me afterwards what it was like--See I'm not squeemish that way. Recently, my mother had her cataracts removed, and I got to watch the surgery. The only thing that bothered me was that it seemed like they were having some difficulty "getting" to the correct position to suction out what needed to be removed, and the particular movements they made looked like they would hurt. But squeem? Not me.

So I would have liked to watch my own surgery...funny as that may seem. Shoulder still hurts me a bit, but the dressing is gone now, and so I don't have that pressing on the incision--which makes the sitting back in the chair or lying down 75% easier than with the dressing! Even the pains in the chest area are going away. I'm still struggling with heartburn that gives me a headache. So instead of drinking pop (Diet Caffiene Free Pepsi), I'm drinking some caramel-flavored coffee. I actually felt well enough to fill up the dishwasher and get it going. I'm better today, which means I go to work on Friday. It's okay, I suppose. One has to get back to the routine eventually.

But I still wish I had eyes in the back of my head.

No comments: